.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Saturday, January 15, 2005

 

"The revolution will be improvised"

The organization I take improv classes from is Washington Improv Theater, or WIT. Last night I saw their new show, "The Job," which is loosely about whether our jobs define us (um, hello, could a theme be closer to my heart?). The "program" was fashioned like a corporate hand-out...the first page was a memo from WIT to the audience, their "resume" was attached, the cast list took the form of an invoice...very smart and fun. I have to say, the show didn't get into the theme it advertised as much as I hoped - the characters' occupations ended up being more of a launching pad than a subject - but still, what a fun way to spend an hour on a Friday night. I really believe in the group's mission statement:

Washington Improv Theater is dedicated to advancing spontaneous theater as an art form that unleashes creative genius. Through performances and a comprehensive training program, WIT aims to foster the creativity lying dormant or repressed in every Washingtonian. In everything WIT does, it strives to inject some much-needed spontaneity into D.C.'s overly scripted culture.

The revolution will be improvised.

Indeed.

(Note: I'll be out of town for a week, starting tomorrow. I expect to have some level of internet access, so hopefully this won't lie completely dormant, but I won't be able to post as often as usual. What's that - the sound of heartbreak? Seriously, though, a few people have told me they check this thing regularly, so I just wanted to let you know. :))

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?