.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, December 17, 2004

 

Cold rush

It's Friday morning, but it feels like Monday. I think it's because I have so much to do, at work and after work and over the weekend. It seems the amount of things I have to do is disproportionate to the number of days/hours left in the week. The "holiday season" - as it's so euphemistically called, with Christmas trees everywhere and "Jesus" intoned at least once every few minutes on the classical music station - is like that. Rushing to get things done by the end of the year, rushing to buy presents, rushing from one holiday event to another.

And then - it is a cold morning, very cold, at least by DC standards, and I think of all the people suffering in this city on this cold morning, and I am ashamed. Not to mention the people suffering all over the world. This is a hard subject to write about without sounding hackneyed. I am feeling more, much more, than what I'm saying here, but I'm stll trying to navigate the line between what I say to you and what I save for myself. I want to be real but I don't want to slide into using this space as a my private journal, because it's not private, and there are parts of me I'm not quite ready to share.

So instead, I'll share this quote that I found in a book I'm reading. Yes, I know, I said it was hard for me to find a book I like, but I finished Cruddy two nights ago and now I'm into The Best American Nonrequired Reading, edited by Dave Eggers, and I'm loving it. What can I say. Anyway, the intro's by Viggo Mortensen, the actor, and he ends it with this quote:

"Being a poet is not writing a poem, but finding a new way to live."
-Paul la Cour

Another way of saying your life is your art. And with that, I'm off to walk my dog.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?